Proper Ettiquette - Solved the Problem - Thanks

Sturla Holm Hansen sturlahh at online.no
Sun Jan 4 01:48:27 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 00:37, David Hunt wrote:
> Wow, I didn't mean to start that. But, I do have some good news.
>
> The problem with replying had to do with the fact that I had the "batch
> delivery" mode on. So instead of receiving emails individually, I
> received them in groups. Really nice if I just wanted to read the
> emails. Not so great for replying. That has now been fixed.
>
> Someone suggested using Mozilla. OK. I downloaded it, and installed it.
> It looks pretty nice. It also has the added benefit of separating my
> Linux email stuff from my wife's email. So, I am now writing from
> Mozilla. That's progress, right? And better yet, I get these cool
> graphics. :-)
>
> Last. Someone was wondering why I would be using Outlook. The fact is
> that while I am interested in Linux, Windows XP is my main operating
> system. Why? The fact that my wireless card works with it is probably
> the biggest reason. I am also "experimenting" with Linux, and as such,
> break it frequently. (actually, very frequently) It becomes frustrating
> to re-setup all of the email / newsgroup stuff in Linux each time.
>
> Thanks
>

> --

As I know the feeling of reinstalling all the time I thought I'd just
give you a quick hint on how to avoid it, at least how I solved it when
I was breaking my Linux-box twice a week ;)

I make two installations on the same disk, one main installation with
all the software i needed/wanted/was checking out and one that basically
contained nothing except the minimum to boot up and dump/restore.
When I was going to do something scary i run a full dump of the system
to another partition (or a nfs-share on another machine).
When it broke and was no longer bootable I booted the other partition
and ran a restore...takes a while, but a lot less than setting
everything up all over again, and best of all, I didn't loose all my
data all the time...

Just a hint :)

Sturla