Network startup on IBM Thinkpad

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jan 4 04:21:45 UTC 2004

John Ellenberger wrote:

>Have been running Fedora on an older thinkpad (600X) since its release using
>a 3COM PC-Card networking card.  After a few updates I am running into
>problems with the network not starting up properly.  If I do a normal
>unattended reboot everything appears to come-up normally but the network
>isn't functioning (can't resolve/ping anything beyond localhost).  If I do a
>hard shutdown and go through the file check sequence everything works.  The
>machine is usable but it is pretty annoying (and dangerous) to always have
>to crash it when I'm rebooting.

Disabling kudzu might be a bit safer than powering off to force a disk
check.

Also disabling the rhgb (graphical boot) might help resolve the issue.

>Any ideas what is going on here?  Is there a way to force the network to
>start when it comes-up without properly initializing?

I ran dhclient from my rc.local file when I originally had my 3com
problem. This worked, but included problems with certain applications
not working properly.

Check bugzilla for errors related to 3com cards and also this lists
archives. There might be something which would help resolve your problem
or at least bypass the problem until a resolution is achieved.

Jim

--
You will attract cultured and artistic people to your home.