Bind v. TinyDNS

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Sun Jan 4 22:03:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:16:33PM +0000, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 20:04, Mark Mielke wrote:
> > In the end, I as a user don't care. If I can see the source code, and apply
> > my own patches, I have what I need. So if it is "I have a server: Should I
> > use BIND or TinyDNS?" my answer would *not* be primarily based on
> > "Which one comes with Fedora?" (although other people may choose this
> > criteria...).
> I, as a user, DO CARE. I do not want to feel I'm doing something wrong,
> if I'm trying to help my other friend, who knows even less than I do,
> but I am torn between respecting the author of a program or my
> friendship.

The author of the program is legally allowed to control distributions
rights to their program. Your friendship has on place in a court of law.

Have you considered that by installing software for your friend(s),
when they, according to you, are incapable of doing it themselves, you
may be *hurting* your friend? Having open ports on the Internet can be
an open invitation for hacking. Perhaps your friend(s) should *learn* to
do it themselves?

> I, as a system administrator, DO CARE. I do not want to mingle with
> software that has unfair restrictions, which might hurt my company or a
> sub-company I may have the need to redistribute the software.

Being able to use software, distribute changes, and even in this case,
distribute change source or binary installations, is a *privilege*
granted to you by specific providers, and *not* by others.

Your company or sub-company is taking advantage of free products to minimize
your overhead. If you won't pay to use a product, why should you be able to
demand distribution rights for it?

> There's a couple of reasons TO CARE.
> You, however, keep looking into your belly button satisfied with what
> you get and advising people to NOT CARE.
> Who's wrong?

You, obviously. You want to be able to redistribute somebody else's code
for your own profit, against the wishes of the author.

Morally, as a person, this attitude of yours leaves much to be desired.

mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...