Bind v. TinyDNS

Christopher Chan cchan at outblaze.com
Sun Jan 4 23:18:35 UTC 2004

> I value those 4 Freedoms and all the pratical consequences they bring
> (those usually flaunted by others as the main thing), and DJB doesn't
> values his user's freedoms.
>

>>Just because it does not come with a license does not make any less so.
>

> If it doesn't come with a license, then its even worse. According to
> most copyright laws in the world no one but the author has an authorized
> copy. Obviously, you missed something.
>
> Rui

Heh. No I haven't.

I don't a license to own a book. Neither do I need a license to own a
copy of a piece of software under any copyright law.

I see you don't like using software that does not give you explicit
right to redistribute modified versions of it.

That's a rather rational strong feeling not to use tinydns over bind.

Forget about the security history and performance and ease of use of the
software concerned. You are not allowed to redistribute modified
versions (although you can redistribute the original in this particular
case) and that's all you need to consider.

David Hart,

Here's is my strong feelings to use tinydns over bind.

The tinydns program has a small memory footprint, has no history of
security holes whatsoever, is easy to configure and maintain, is fast
and has the minor benefit of requiring no restart of the program when
the dns configuration is updated.