Does anyone have a solution for mp3 playback skipping in xmms?

Kwan Lowe kwan at digitalhermit.com
Mon Jan 5 17:29:25 UTC 2004

> mistake I made in a hurry. Secondly, I have searched the archives.
> Thirdly (is that a word?) I have installed the xmms-mp3 package and can
> playback mp3s. Lastly I may not have been clear enough, I can listen to
> mp3s they just skip. I have just noticed this recently, as with the last
> kernel upgrade  2.4.22-1.2135.nptl.
> does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of the skipping of
> playback of mp3s on xmms. Is reniceing X or xmms my only option?

You can try adjusting the buffer size of the audio output plugin. For example,
if using ESD:
>From XMMS, go to Preferences.
Go to Audio I/O Plugins
Under the Output Plugin, select your output then click configure.
Go to the Buffering tab and increase the buffer size.

You can also try installing the 2.6.0 kernel. It seems to do a better job of
reducing skipping.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan at digitalhermit.com