sticky bit?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Tue Jan 6 01:35:24 UTC 2004

Anyone know what a "sticky bit" is actually used for? Anything?

My (older) linux book says it will cause an executable file to remain in the
swap area and thus make it load faster. It also says, though, that a
permission flag will change to 't' or 'T' when the "sticky bit" is set, but
that does not happen (using FC1).

A follow-up question: if the "sticky bit" can be used as claimed, could it be
helpful in getting things like Konqueror to open more quickly? I'm used to
the snappy performance of Win2k on my older machine (with ample RAM) and it's
frustrating waiting a few seconds every time I want to open a web browser or
file management window.