Using dual cpu capabilities

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Tue Jan 6 01:55:07 UTC 2004

Mike wrote:
  > The idea behind it was the following. The basic kernal is missing,
so far I
> can remember, a flag for using more then one CPU. Probably there is also
> included a flag for using Hyper Threading. In first line I am curious or
> this configured automaticaly so the full capabilities are used
> automatically.

If you boot with an 'smp' kernel, support for multiple CPUs is
automatic. If you do a clean Fedora install on a dual-CPU box, an
smp-kernel should be automatically installed and set as the default. If
not, you can always install the rpm yourself.
[bevan at urd ~]> rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-utils-2.4-9.1.101.fedora
kernel-smp-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl
kernel-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl

(I know I need to update it again...)

Hyperthreading is generally configured at the BIOS level, with nothing
more to be done at the kernel level. If it's turned on in BIOS it will
seem as though you have -4- processors (two virtual processors per real
physical processor).

-Bevan Bennett