sticky bit?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Tue Jan 6 01:58:14 UTC 2004

On Monday 05 January 2004 9:39 pm, Peter Kiem wrote:
> > Anyone know what a "sticky bit" is actually used for? Anything?
>
> If you look at the permissions on /tmp you will see it is drwxrwxrwt - the
> t on the end is a sticky bit.

Right! There it is! I was trying to set it and expecting to see that 't' but
could not make it happen to a file.

So is it possible for me to set a sticky bit (as root)? I couldn't make it
happen.

(Don't worry, this is just a home machine and I'm just playing. There is
nothing of value on the system yet. I may completely reinstall once I get the
hang of things.)