yum local repository howto?

Jim Thario jim at thario.net
Tue Jan 6 16:31:16 UTC 2004

dalen wrote:

> Does anyone know how to rsync from the public Redhat servers?

I use a lftp script to do a HTTP mirror from mirrors.kernel.org. This
server performs best for my location. I think this server also supports
rsync. My mirror script runs a few hours before cron.daily (yum.cron
script) runs. I can post the lftp script if you are interested.

> If I have to rsync from a mirror, does a differing directory structure
> matter and if so how?

The base directories leading up to the repository does not matter. You
need to adjust for this in your yum.conf file. My mirrors go into
/h2/mirror/pub/... while the server I mirror from starts at /fedora/core/...

> Which files/directories are needed by yum base and updates-released
> other than headers/rpms/srpms, or which can be skipped (*.iso)?

I mirror these from the server:
/fedora/core/1/i386/os
/fedora/core/updates/1/i386

I exclude *.src.rpm files from my mirror.

> If I switch to a local repository after some updates from the Redhat
> servers, do I need to do any maintenance first such as delete
> /var/cache/yum?

When I switched my machines to my local mirror, I did completely remove
(rm -rf) everything under /var/cache/yum. Necessary? Not sure, but it
didn't hurt.

Regards,
Jim