yum local repository howto?

dalen dalen at czexan.net
Tue Jan 6 20:55:51 UTC 2004

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think I have everything worked out.  Below is how I updated my local
repository and the yum.conf on my clients.

create a local directory for repository

mkdir /home/e-smith/files/ibays/mirror/yum-repository

create subdirectories for distro and base/updates

mkdir /home/e-smith/files/ibays/mirror/yum-repository/fedora
mkdir /home/e-smith/files/ibays/mirror/yum-repository/fedora/base
mkdir /home/e-smith/files/ibays/mirror/yum-repository/fedora/updates

run the following rsync commands manually or add to a shell script and
call it from cron daily

rsync the base directory excluding things I don't need

/usr/bin/rsync --archive --verbose --stats --partial --progress
--exclude SRPMS --exclude dosutils/ --exclude images/ --exclude
isolinux/ mirrors.kernel.org::fedora/core/1/i386/os/
/home/mirror/yum-repository/fedora/base/

rsync the updates directory excluding things I don't need

/usr/bin/rsync --archive --verbose --stats --partial --progress
--exclude SRPMS --exclude debug/
mirrors.kernel.org::fedora/core/updates/1/i386/
/home/e-smith/files/ibays/mirror/files/yum-repository/fedora/updates/

modify base/updates section of client /etc/yum.conf as follows

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever
baseurl=ftp://mirror@czexan.net/yum-repository/fedora/base

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-$releasever
baseurl=ftp://mirror@czexan.net/yum-repository/fedora/updates