gnutella client for a NON programmer?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Wed Jan 7 04:37:54 UTC 2004

Anyone know of any way to install / use ANY sort of gnutella client on linux
that a NON programmer can handle?

I'm actually a computer science student, but I'm embarrassed to say that after
hours of investigating the apparent options, I can not get a single one
running on my system. This is a plain, FC1 installation, no modifications of
any sort that I can think of. I was really looking for a "download, unzip,
run" sort of solution (i.e. the sort of thing a Windows USER could handle,
not a developer). What I found were many "rewrite the code and compile based
on the day of the week + your mother's zodiac symbol - the current
temperature / 9.21434" sort of options.

I haven't resorted to installing the Java VM yet since I assume that running a
java based app like limewire on my system would be just another huge pig,
like they are under Win2k on my machine (PIII 500, 384meg).

Actually, I got mutella downloaded and "installed" (even that took half an
hour or more) but, although it apparently runs, I can't find any docs that
tell me how to get it to actually connect to any servers. And lack of
connection makes a P2P app pretty much useless. :-)

As you can probably guess, I don't want to read through the mutella and/or
gnutella source codes or take a course on network sockets to try to find out
how to connect to other people's servers. I just want to get connected! :-)

Getting mutella's apparent built-in HTTP interface or the "MUWI" interface
(which, if it is what it seems to be, looks quite nice) is quite beyond me.
But I could live with a command line situation for the next 4 months until I
finish the C/unix course I'm taking right now and maybe then I could go back
and have another crack at compiling a different product.

Sigh. Will there never be "point and click" software for linux? I would have
been better off paying $60 for Windows software and saving myself the 4 hrs
(if I still wanted to use Windows). :-(

Sorry to vent. Just frustrated at wasting another night (waste = use the time
but get no results).

-Trevor