kenrel update problem?

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano_brunetti at idg.it
Wed Jan 7 14:30:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 15:14, William Hooper wrote:
> Emiliano Brunetti said:
> [snip]
> >
> > Ok, i answered myself: the problem was due to password change on the
> > windows system.
> >
> > And now i wonder: is there a way to manage also this issue with samba?
> > Now i know, or rather i presume, that ERRSRV - 2242 is
> > password change request from server. Is there a way to deal with it
> > without rebooting the windows system to change password?
>
> Could you give more detail on how you fixed the problem?  Did you go to
> the Windows machine and change the password, or did you change your Samba
> config?  What version of Windows are you using?

Sure. I had to do both things - here is exactly what i did:

- tried to manually mount all the shares you could see in my original
post, no luck;
- booted into winXP (i didn't erase it for this is my job's machine, and
i was only allowed to use linux - not to zap out boring stuff ;) ) and
tried to log on local network;
- got the usual windows message of expired password;
- changed my password;
- didn't even log on, i only changed password and rebooted the system
into linux;
- running kernel 2.44.22-1.2135.nptl (just to make sure it wasn't
causing any problem), i changed my password in ~/.smbidg (i use this
file for smb credentials);
- manually mounted all my smb shares with no problem;
- now everything works perfectly again and smb shares get correctly
mounted at boot time via fstab;

My initial guess of a possible kernel update problem was obviously
wrong. Unfortunately, my windows password expired the very same day i
updated kernel. ;)

Still my second question is without an answer: any way to manage all this
automatically by means of a linux box? Samba correctly reports a
error code that presumably means 'expired password'. So, i suppose, it
wouldn't be too difficult to handle such error code in order to fire
up some sort of password changing software. However, i made a quick
google search on this topic and found nothing. It seems there is no
way to change a windows password from a linux box. If somebody knows
how it can be done, please post.

The Windows server (well, so they call it anyway) is a very old NT4
box.

E.