kenrel update problem?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 7 15:25:47 UTC 2004

Emiliano Brunetti said:
> On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 15:14, William Hooper wrote:
>> Emiliano Brunetti said:
>> [snip]
>> >
>> > Ok, i answered myself: the problem was due to password change on the
>> > windows system.
>> >
>> > And now i wonder: is there a way to manage also this issue with samba?
>> > Now i know, or rather i presume, that ERRSRV - 2242 is
>> > password change request from server. Is there a way to deal with it
>> > without rebooting the windows system to change password?
>>
>> Could you give more detail on how you fixed the problem?  Did you go to
>> the Windows machine and change the password, or did you change your
>> Samba
>> config?  What version of Windows are you using?
>
> Sure. I had to do both things - here is exactly what i did:
>
> - tried to manually mount all the shares you could see in my original
> post, no luck;
> - booted into winXP (i didn't erase it for this is my job's machine, and
> i was only allowed to use linux - not to zap out boring stuff ;) ) and
> tried to log on local network;
> - got the usual windows message of expired password;
> - changed my password;
> - didn't even log on, i only changed password and rebooted the system
> into linux;
[snip]

Here is the information I was looking for.  It sounds like you are running
in a Windows Domain.
[snip]

> The Windows server (well, so they call it anyway) is a very old NT4
> box.

An NT4 domain to be precise.  I haven't tried it with Samba 3 yet, but
looking at the docs for "net" it looks like you might want to try:

RAP PASSWORD USER OLDPASS NEWPASS

Change password of USER from OLDPASS to NEWPASS.

http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/net.8.html

--
William Hooper