Install on large Hard drive

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 7 18:29:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 03:54:48PM +0000, obarlow at netzero.net wrote:

> I'm attempting to install fedora core 1 on my system.  It doesn't
> recognize the full size of my 120G hard drive.  Other linux
> distributions are able to recognize it.  Is there a module I need to
> load for fedora to recognize the full hard drive?

I suspect that the BIOS does not present the full drive
to the system at boot time.

Once the install disk had booted you should be able to partion the
disk and use it all.  Automatic partioning should work but I made mine
by hand the way I did because I was lazy.

Since your BIOS apparently does not see all the disk make your FIRST
partion "/boot" and things should be fine.

Something like this:
  $ df
  /dev/hda3            111250496  54009080  51590152  52% /
  /dev/hda1               101089     28767     67103  31% /boot

  $ grep swap /etc/fstab
  /dev/hda2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

I made my /boot filesystem partion with a size of 1GB on this 120GB
disk.  I now have five kernel versions in it so I suspect it was a
little bigger than it needed to be.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net