Proper ettiquette for posting messages

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Jan 7 19:55:34 UTC 2004

At 11:43 1/7/2004, you wrote:
>And the latest MS Office is $699 + a five-year upgrade contract + who
>knows what all.  Star Office is about $60, IIRC.

I'm working to have my entire office (all of about 15 people) over to
StarOffice 7. I think it's $75, but I've been using SO-6.0 for over a year
now and I am REALLY impressed. No crashes, no bugs, 99% file-format
compatibility, and lots of neat stuff. Some things are not quite as good as
MS Office (pivot tables), some things are much better (mail merges).

For 15 people, MS Office = $10,500. Star Office = $1,125. Savings, $9,375
(89%). With the average price of a new computer being $600 around here, 15
new computers are $9,000, and $375 left over.

Good deal. Once office productivity software that is sold by the millions
and has a marginal unit cost of $5, charges me more than the actual
computer, there's monopoly pricing in effect and I look for a way out. And
once I have everyone on SO, allowing a few  machines to move to Linux, then
more, then more, is a gradual process which hopefully will proceed nicely.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com