bittorrent?

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Wed Jan 7 21:57:55 UTC 2004

Trevor Smith wrote:
> What is bittorrent? Does it essentially provide the same service as a gnutella
> client would? Is there some reason (for an end user) why it is better? Or is
> it a different category of program altogether.

It's purpose is to speed downloads of large files (like Linux ISOs)
through cooperative serving. At a -very- basic level, any download is
broken into chunks, and clients offer themselves as alternate servers
for the chunks they already have.

They probably describe themselves better than I do.

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/introduction.html