[Fedora] General Linux Networking

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jan 8 00:43:12 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 07.01.2004 schrieb Øyvind Lode um 23:37:
> At 23:12 07.01.2004, Kevin Worthington wrote:
> > > I'm trying to find a command that displays all ipconfigurations for a nic.
> > > I wan't to display the IP adress, Subnetmask, Gateway and DNS etc.
> > > On a Windows box this is done by using "ipconfig /all"
> >Try 'ifconfig' (no quotes)
> >---
> >Kevin Worthington - <kworthington (at) linuxmail {dot} org>
> >Red Hat Linux user since April 1998
> >Fedora Core User since July 2003 (Severn betas)
> >Registered Linux User #218689 - http://counter.li.org
>

> Yes. Already tried that....
> "ifconfig" displays the ip adresses and subnet mask of all NICs.
> Also ran "ifconfig eth0" just to display for the NIC I wanted but just
> gives me ip address and subnet mask so no info on Default Gateway, DNS
> Servers... + a lot of info about packages completed successfully, errors,
> collitions etc.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Øyvind

Well, ifconfig is an older tool. The current much more mighty is ip from
iproute2.

$ ip --help
Usage: ip [ OPTIONS ] OBJECT { COMMAND | help }
where  OBJECT := { link | addr | route | rule | neigh | tunnel |
                   maddr | mroute | monitor }
       OPTIONS := { -V[ersion] | -s[tatistics] | -r[esolve] |
                    -f[amily] { inet | inet6 | ipx | dnet | link } |
-o[neline] }

It will give you much information.

ip addr list   -> lists IP address information
ip route list  -> lists routes and gateways

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999