/dev/dsp not honouring permission settings

Lorenzo Prince lorenzo at prince.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 8 16:25:44 UTC 2004

hi,

I am having a real problem with /dev/dsp.  I first tried creating a group called
sound, adding all my local users to this group and chgrp sound /dev/dsp.  This
works in theory and in ls, but the first user who logged in is still the only one
who can play sound.  I then just decided to change the permissions to 777 in
/etc/security/console.perms.  The line now looks like this:

<console>  0777 <sound>       0777 root

But when I log out and back in,

ls -l /dev/dsp
crwxrwx---    1 lorenzo  sound     14,   3 Jan 30  2003 /dev/dsp

And when I reboot, the group reverts to root and the permissions stay the same.

What did I miss?

PRINCE