up2date is *horrid*

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Thu Jan 8 18:44:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:53:22 -0700, robin laing <robin> wrote:
> Why not look at a way of autoselecting a mirror by testing speed of the
> connection or by using 'traceroute' to find the closest mirror.  The
> mirror list could be part of a configuration file setup during
> installation and updates.  If the software is smart enough, if a server
> hangs or slows down, then it could change to a different server.
>
> This method would not require user interaction and improve the
> usablility of the whole process.
>
> I am new to Fedora and I havn't tried the up2date yet as one machine is
> new and I have to ensure that it is ready for productive work tomorrow
> and the other machine died while doing a kernel upgrade (hardware, not
> fedora).

Agreed... It's even better than the initial idea... Maybe the software should start using a random-selected mirror initially , then it would update the mirror list and find the fastest mirror available and use it as the default mirror in the current session. And every time it would perform the same test , to ensure maximum speed.

Pedro Macedo