computation-friendly kernels

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Thu Jan 8 22:05:28 UTC 2004

Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:

> When you say "largest", which parameter are you scaling?

Input cell size, which increases the number of threads and therefore RAM
utilization.

 > Are you using a significant fraction of RAM?

Very much so. We're pushing our RAM very hard, and considering
installing even more.

 > RHEL and Fedora have a completely different VM.

Ah, then the kernel differences are significant enough not to be easily
enumerated or replaced. How do their VMs compare to 2.6?

> Also, highmem support in FC1 may be broken.

That's not good, if it's true.

> I'd suggest using Oprofile or readprofile to find where the kernel is spending
> its time.

Thanks! I'll try that.