up2date issues resolved

James Kosin jkosin at intcomgrp.com
Thu Jan 8 22:05:44 UTC 2004

Scott,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Talbot" <talbotscott at cox.net>
To: "Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 4:35 PM
Subject: Re: up2date issues resolved

| On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 20:05, fed ora wrote:
| > Fedora Core 1 Mirror - Up2date
| > (2004, January 3)

| > Solution: Use local mirror (i.e., whichever is closest
| > to you).
| >
| > Search http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
| > or Google for others - select appropriate address as
| > above
|
| In order to fix this permanently, perhaps the first time the applet is
| run, a pop-up, or (better) a wizard to explain (or do) these actions
| might be possible.
|
| I know that most of us here can, or have figured it out, but I still
| have a couple of questions.
|
| 1) What's the difference between a yum repo, an apt-get repo and a "dir"
| repo?

A yum and apt-get repo are just different styles of the same type of
repository.
More information on APT here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html
More information on YUM here:
http://www.linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/index.ptml

A dir repo is just a directory on the local machine where you have
downloaded packages to...  This is useful for those that like to download,
burn to CD or DVD and upgrade many systems without having to download
everything over and over and over....
You can even specify a directory from the command line with up2date to tell
it where to look for the packages before downloading.

| 2) if any of these can be used, do we need to point to a different
| directory?

You can use whatever you prefer.  I'm not sure what would happen if you
specified an apt-get source and a yum source path what would happen.

| My worry was finding the proper directory when I set-up my sources
| file, though I got it right first time.   Perhaps if these were listed
| in the release notes as the repository right down to the dir with
| instructions to cut and paste into the sources file this would be easy
| enough?

I think most of the links in http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
will work with modification.  What you want is to go there and drill down
one of the mirrors to the right place and be sure that that directory
contains a headers directory.  For example:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/
is for the core os on the distro.ibiblio.org mirror.  The updates are in
another directory ending in /i386/

| >snip>

| Scott

James...