up2date is *horrid*

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Thu Jan 8 22:37:02 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-08 07:01, Pedro Fernandes Macedo whipped out a
trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 08 January 2004 05:57, Philip Wyett wrote:
>>

>>> While the editing of '/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources' and using a mirror is
>>> the correct way currently to avoid the high load on Red Hat servers
>>> - It
>>> is far from ideal. As a desktop OS looking to gain new users, we really
>>> need local mirror selection via drop-down menu (or whatever) as part of
>>> the update application. Could be time for an RFE. :)
>>>

>> I'm not sure if this is what you are suggesting,
>> but I certainly don't want to go through the rigmarole
>> of choosing a mirror every time I run up2date.
>>

> I understand what he wants.. Maybe a drop-down list in the
> configuration part of up2date... Then it would save your choices in
> the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.. Just a GUI to make things easier to
> new users.... And you wouldnt need to chose the mirror every time...
>
> Pedro Macedo

AND, on top of that, at the time you need it most, the RH site which has
the list of mirrors is not even able to respond to the link above so
that I can get a list of the mirror sites....

--
Fritz Whittington
Slow but sure moves the might of the gods. (Euripides, The Bacchae, circa 407 B.C.)