computation-friendly kernels

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 23:33:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 22:05, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:

>  > Are you using a significant fraction of RAM?
> Very much so. We're pushing our RAM very hard, and considering
> installing even more.

How much RAM exactly ? It's possible the VM changes that went into
2.4.23 may help on big boxes. It is quite a radical amount of change
however (which is why it never made it into FC1 at all)

>  > RHEL and Fedora have a completely different VM.
> Ah, then the kernel differences are significant enough not to be easily
> enumerated or replaced. How do their VMs compare to 2.6?

FC1 - Stock 2.4 VM from 2.4.22 (Before the recent large -aa merge)
Taroon - Rik van Riel's rmap vm.
2.6 - Completely different again, but with some elements of rmap vm
(Ie the actual reverse mappings part).

> > Also, highmem support in FC1 may be broken.
> That's not good, if it's true.

I would use 'suboptimal' rather than broken if its the issues I'm
thinking of.

	Dave