Blank password works for root

Nix, Robert P. Nix.Robert at mayo.edu
Fri Jan 9 19:21:06 UTC 2004

In looking at my system-auth file, I have the line you are referencing (with likeauth nullok) but I don't have the problem you have; no password does not work for root on my system (or for any other userid, for that matter...) While taking that off may make your problem go away, I don't think it's the solution.... There's something else going on.

----
Robert P. Nix                            internet: nix.robert at mayo.edu
Mayo Clinic                                  phone: 507-284-0844
RO-CE-8-857                                page: 507-270-1182
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
----   "Codito, Ergo Sum"
"In theory, theory and practice are the same,
 but in practice, theory and practice are different."