How can i use rpm to retrive a specific file from a package?

Leonid Mamtchenkov leonid at leonid.maks.net
Fri Jan 9 23:58:43 UTC 2004

* Felipe Alfaro Solana <felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org> [10-Jan-2004 00:20]:
> > > I want to recover the sendmail.mc file from the sendmail package.  How can
> > > I get rpm to just give me that one file.  Thanks in advance
> >
> > cpio2rpm sendmail.rpm | cpio -t   --> lists contents, maybe with path
>
> I think you meant:
>
> rpm2cpio sendmail.rpm | cpio -t
>
> > cpio2rpm sendmail.rpm | cpio -ivd FILE
>
> Again:
>
> rpm2cpio sendmail.rpm | cpio -ivd FILE

One could also use Midnight Commander (/usr/bin/mc) to explore and copy
files from RPM packages.

Yet another way would be to create an alternative rpm database setup for
such purposes.  This can be achieved with using some directory as a root
(e.g.: /tmp/restore/) and seting up RPM database there (rpm --initdb
--dbpath /tmp/restore/var/lib/rpm).  Packages could be installed there
with --force and --nodeps options.  I haven't tried this approach, but
it should be easy accroding to the manual. :)

TIMTOWTDI.

--
 Leonid Mamtchenkov.
 http://www.leonid.maks.net