Update patches versus full update RPM.

Leonard den Ottolander leonardjo at hetnet.nl
Sat Jan 10 00:20:35 UTC 2004

Hello Lamar,

> For those who don't follow fedora-devel, I would like to summarize what I
> have found after making a proposal and requesting comments about a mechanism
> to reduce the amount of bandwidth that is wasted downloading updates.

I am not following it yet, could you tell me which thread you are referring
to so I can look it up? You forgot to summarize.

> There has been quite a backlash from a few developers who seem to think that
> it's not worth the effort.  I disagree, but I'm not a developer of the tools
> that would need the work.

I mentioned some technical issues concerning patching signed binaries in
the thread "kernel-source - could we patch instead?". Are these solved yet?

> The best place to pester developers is on the fedora-devel list.

I will definitely subscribe to that list soon, but I don't think pestering
is the right attitude. If you can solve the technical issues a solution is
much more likely to be accepted and integrated. Even (more) if you will not
be implementing any of the code yourself, it is a good idea to discuss the
issues before forcing them upon developers. If you come with good ideas and
you take the time to explain their benefits you are far more likely to get
people work on them than by demanding that they be implemented.

> You might even find success by paying a developer to implement a trial
> version of this to prove its worth.

So what are you offering?

Bye,
Leonard.