#!/bin/sh versus #!/bin/bash

Matthew Zimmerman mzimmerman at virginia.edu
Sat Jan 10 01:42:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 03:22:12PM -0800, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
> I can't reproduce your results locally, but I have a suspicion.
>
> Try testing with:
> #!/bin/bash --norc --noprofile
> /bin/echo Hello world
>
> to disable reading the various profile and login scripts.

Ah-ha. That did it. Works just fine without sourcing the setup
scripts.

I still don't know exactly what was causing the error,
but it only seems to happen whenever my .bashrc is executed
than once. Since my .bashrc `source's about twenty other software
configuration scripts, I'm guessing one of them goes a little
wonky when they're executed twice in the same session. Moving
configuration scripts to .bash_profile: problem goes away.

Thanks all! Another mystery solved.

--
      Matt

      Matthew Zimmerman
      Interdisciplinary Biophysics, University of Virginia
      http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mdz4c/
 Lab: 4-223 Jordan Hall, 1300 Jefferson Park Avenue,
      Charlottesville, VA 22908              (434)924-2948
Home: 2655-C Barracks Road
      Charlottesville, VA 22901              (434)244-7989