console color

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Jan 10 14:35:00 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 10.01.2004 schrieb Simon Perreault um 14:52:
> On January 10, 2004 05:54, Danail Nachev wrote:
> > can somebody tell me where i can change the intensity of the colors of the
> > console? i mean that the colors under slackware where more brighter, more
> > contrast. on the fedora they are darker, less contrast.
>
> Yes, I'd like to know that too. The change happened from 7.3 to 8 IIRC.
>
> Before colors: http://www.shellguard.com/images/screens/sg_runls_s.gif
> (sorry, that's the only screenshot of the old colors I could find)
>
> Now colors: http://nomis80.org/colors.png
>
> See for example the directory-blue and the executable-green. It is much darker
> now.
>
> I searched the RPM for patches but couldn't find any that would explain the
> new colors. I played with dir_colors but to no avail. How can one get the
> originals? Was it changed upstream or by Red Hat?
>
> --
> Simon Perreault <nomis80 at nomis80.org> -- http://nomis80.org

For XTerm you set the colors/values/intensities in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm. The Gnome-Terminal has a separate
profile definition option in the menu bar in which you are able to set a
wide range of colors. XTerm is more limited.

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999