Upgrading from min install?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Jan 10 14:43:33 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 10.01.2004 schrieb David Jackson um 15:20:
> Howdy --
> I've worked around the problem in my previous post (re: CD problems) by
> doing a minium install.
>
> My question what is the best way for me to install missing "package"
> groups that would be listed under "custom install"?

You can use from the menu "system settings" -> "add/remove
applications". This will give you a selection option like during install
and needs your CDs.

The other possibility is to install required packages over the net by
calling "up2date" (do you a favour and use a mirror server to get the
packages from - for instructions see the list archive).

> Related question, can I tell RPM to install required deps packaged for
> various packages?

Both ways described above will autoresolve dependencies. RPM by it's own
will not resolve dependencies, only if all needed RPMs are in the same
directory when you call i.e. "rpm -Fvh *". Better use up2date, yum or
apt as a "frontend" for rpm to take advantage for autoresolving of
dependencies.

> TIA,
> David

Alexander