List Problems

Krikket krikket at gothpoodle.com
Sat Jan 10 19:56:56 UTC 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 06:15:36 -0600, Jess Anderson wrote:
>
> > Even for a true geek, the volume of this list is crushing.
>
> It seems the initial expectation that the list would "calm down" has not
> materialised. In a way that's a good thing, since it is indicative of
> Fedora's popularity, but yes it is heavy going.

Too heavy, IMnsHO.  As a result I've had to delete stuff unread.  And I'm
used to high-volume mailing lists.  (I choose to delete based on the
subject line.)

> > It's well past the time when the various Fedora lists should be
> > reorganized into such departments as announce, setup/install, security,
> > development, hardware, x-windows, and so forth.
>
> IME that just leads to more off-topic posting, since many can't seem to
> (or don't bother trying to) figure out which is the appropriate list.

Depends on how many lists you have.  At lease a install list would be a
"good thing" IMnsHO.

> > In the meantime, I've found it *very* helpful to dump the emailed
> > traffic to /dev/null
>
> Probably better to turn it off in the list prefs, rather than /dev/null
> it. Cuts down unnecessary .Net traffic.

*Confused*  What do you mean by "emailed traffic" in this case?  It's
obviously not the messages to the list...

Krikket