Using Telnet and getting message - Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 11 05:55:03 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 17:31, Barry Yu wrote:
> When I am in Windows 2k I could use Telnet to remote host Red Hat 9 and
> have  command  controll over it. But when I tried to use Telnet from the
> same Red Hat 9 machine to Telnet to same W2k machine, I was getting
> Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused. Can someone help? Tks.
----
1 - Telnet bad - use ssh (download putty for Windows client)

2 - telnet client to Windows telnet server (port 23) uses NTLM
authentication which isn't going to be provided by anything other than
another Windows computer that is registered to the domain. If you look
at the 'dependencies' of the telnet service in Administrative
Tools/Services, you will see the requirement. There may be a way to
disable that in local security policy or in the registry but I don't
know of a way to do that.

Craig