Is qtparted working on FC1?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Jan 11 21:05:30 UTC 2004

Am So, den 11.01.2004 schrieb Emiliano Brunetti um 19:48:
> On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 19:25, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
> > > I tried qtparted. Is anyone here using it with FC1?
> >
> > qtparted is still in the testing repository on fedora.us ->
> > http://www.fedora.us/pkglists/fedora-1-testing.html. So I think it did
> > not already pass quality management.
>
> Well, ok then. However i do need something to resize and move
> partitions. Any advice?

Sorry, I did not mean it will not work properly. I just wanted to
mention, that the RPM 'might' not fit the quality standards which
fedora.us claims for stables RPMS through their repository. Even if
there is something not perfect with the RPM, qtparted should work
properly though.

> > > I tried to install RH9 rpm packages (qtparted and all the necessary
> > > programs to dela with various filesystems - on qtparted rpm's website,
> > > RH9 rpms are reported to work well on FC1...). They got correctly
> > > installed but qtparted doesn't work: it fires up its gui but
> > > won't resize anything. A popup error message shows up, but it
> > > doesn't contain any text so it is not really helpful.
> > > If i launch qtparted from command prompt, i see some error messages:
> > >
> > > [root at localhost root]# qtparted
> > > No Implementation: Support for opening ntfs file systems is not implemented yet.
> >
> > On http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/features.en.html you can see, that
> > NTFS partitions are supported, but see the notes there. You might lack
> > mkntfs and ntfsresize.
>
> Unfortunately this is not the case. I installed ntfsprogs and mkntfs
> and ntfsresize are in their place. I can mount and read ntfs filesystem
> too.

Ok, good that you state that. It was not clear to me whether you
fulfilled the needs by qtparted. Forgive me please :)

> Moreover, qtparted seems to be strangely unable to manage ext3
> partitions as well.

>From features list it is able to handle proper.

> > > Error: Filesystem was not cleanly unmounted!  You should e2fsck.  Modifying an u
> > > nclean filesystem could cause severe corruption.
> >
> > Run e2fsck as you are told to do. Running a resizer on a partition which
> > may contain faults you highly risk to damage it unrepairable.
> >
> > > Error: Filesystem was not cleanly unmounted!  You should e2fsck.  Modifying an u
> > > nclean filesystem could cause severe corruption.
> >
> > Seems you have 2 of these partitions. If these partitions are ext3
> > formatted use fsck.ext3 instead.
> >
> > > I checked all filesystems and they look good.
> >
> > Hm, you did that while they were unmounted, like booted in rescue mode?
>
> Of course i didn't check a mounted filesystem! :)

Good! Excluded that point too.

> My point was different: qtparted claims those partitions were not
> cleanly unmounted. But it is wrong: they were cleanly unmounted and
> they all passed the check. I have all the stuff it needs to manage
> ntfs partitions, but it doesn't.
>
> I made some test with parted, and i got similar errors. For instance,
> parted refuse to resize and move ext3 partitions. So
> probably the problem is to be tracked down to parted itself. I am not
> sure, but parted should indeed be able to resize and move ext3
> partitions, isn't it?

See the limitations on http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html
[if you not did that already].

> What could i do now?
>
> Thanks
>
> E.

For special parted/qtparted problems and bugs I think it is worth to
check the tools's mailinglist.

Regards

Alexander

--