Is qtparted working on FC1?

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Sun Jan 11 23:36:24 UTC 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:39:40 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> > > Even if there is something not perfect with the RPM, qtparted should
> > > work properly though.
> >
> > No. That's what the "testing" repository is for. If code maturity is
> > uncertain and the software needs [much] more testing from more users, it's
> > put into "testing". If early reviewers find the software has serious flaws
> > and crashes under certain circumstances, for instance, it can be published
> > into "unstable" nevertheless.
>
> Hi Michael, thank you for your correction. It was not clear to me that
> packages in testing could be in such a bad state.

???

> I thought there might
> be just failures with the packaging as files missing or in wrong
> directory or install failures under certain circumstances.

That would be reasons not to publish a package at all, but develop it
further to fix such issues.

> But if there
> are patches applied too which might be of undefined state

You have misunderstood that. The original qtparted as provided by the
author failed during reviews. The problem was examined, the packager
developed a fix which made the package pass QA. The fix was shipped
upstream, but the author didn't want the patch. Probably he did not
understand the need for it (which would explain his broken code,
too). Last thing I know is he has planned to modify the related code
heavily or rewrite it from scratch or integrate it (it's a separate shell
script that does part of the work).

> i would rather
> recommend not to use such a package on a system with real data.

Then don't recommend qtparted at all.

"Testing" is for testing. It may work for you. It may not work for you.
Not everyone runs into the same problems.

> With
> qtparted in special as it is able to destroy even all content on a disk.
> Though it is in general a good advice to have always a backup before
> resizing a partition with data on it.

Good old fdisk can mess up your partitions, too, when partitions are
renumbered and /dev/hda7 suddenly is /dev/hda6 and you mkfs the wrong
partition. ;)