how do I install the new KDE beta?

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Mon Jan 12 02:05:52 UTC 2004

On Jan 11, 2004 at 21:34, Trevor Smith in a soothing rage wrote:

>On Sunday 11 January 2004 17:12, Simon Perreault wrote:
>> Put all the RPMs in a single directory. Then simply do a
>>
>> rpm -Uvh *.rpm
>
>This does not work for me. I have a fresh installation of FC1, about a day or
>two old, and I installed *everything* (I repartitioned to make enough space
>to install everything specifically to avoid situations like this, where
>software that is supposed to install/run will not).
It is an iterative process. You need to get the needed rpms and add
them to the dl directory and do the rpm -Uvh *.rpm again.

>This is what I get:
>
>[root at localhost kde]# rpm -Uvh *.rpm
>error: Failed dependencies:
>        kdeaddons = %{epoch}:3.1.94-0.2 is needed by
>kdeaddons-atlantikdesigner-3.1.94-0.2
Provided by KDE.

>        XFree86-devel is needed by kdesdk-devel-3.1.94-0.1
XFree86-devel is provided by FC1

>        libnetsnmp.so.5 is needed by kdeutils-3.1.94-0.2
[20:42:15][FEDORA]$ locate libnetsnmp.so.5
/usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so.5
/usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so.5.1.0
[20:56:13][FEDORA]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so.5
net-snmp-5.1-2.1
This is provided by FC1

>        XFree86-devel is needed by qt-devel-3.2.3-0.2
>[root at localhost kde]#
[...]
>Three questions:
>
>1. The web site instructions say "Do It In This Order" but you're suggesting
>that I just throw all the RPMs together and say "install them all!" Does that
>mean the web site is wrong?
I cannot comment on this as I do not know which instructions you
refer to. Simon's method is one way of doing it.

>2. If the web site is not wrong, where is the package that they say you MUST
>install first? Why is it not present in the latest beta directory?
I have detailed where you can get the rpms from above. The one's
related to KDE are. kdesupport is deprecated, so you must have
got old instructions. Current instructions generally go install
qt, then arts, then kdelibs, then kdebase and then the rest as
you need them.

>3. What should I do about the failures above?
'If you try and do not succeed, try, try again' - Anon

HTH
N.Emile...
You know it's Monday when you wake up and it's Tuesday.
		-- Garfield
 20:56:26  up 39 days,  1:43,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00