No CDROM

Paul truzzi at Qwest.Net
Mon Jan 12 04:06:11 UTC 2004

OK, I'm some what new to Linux but seem to have a problem on my second
system with Fedora.  It was a clean install, but sharing disk space with
the dark side.

Motherboard: Abit IC7-MAX3
Kernel-smp#2.6.1-1.126  (but the core 1 2.4 didn't work either)

My fstab has:

LABEL=/       /               ext3   defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot   /boot           ext3   defaults        1 2
none          /dev/pts        devpts gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none          /proc           proc   defaults        0 0
none          /dev/shm        tmpfs  defaults        0 0
LABEL=/usr    /usr            ext3   defaults        1 2
/dev/hda3     swap            swap   defaults        0 0
/dev/hdb      /web	      vfat   defaults	0 0
/dev/fd0      /mnt/floppy     auto   noauto,owner,kudzu 0
/dev/cdrom    /mnt/cdrom      udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

When I run Hardware Browser (hwbrowser) it reports:

 CD-ROM Drives Plextor CD-R PX-W1210A
 Manufacturer: PLEXTOR
 Driver: none or built-in
 Device: /dev/hdc

However when I manually try to mount ...

[root at localhost root]# mount cdrom
mount: can't find cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

[root at localhost root]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

[root at localhost root]# mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
mount: /dev/hdc is not a valid block device

Any suggestions where to look and what to try?  Oh and yes, the
/mnt/cdrom  directory exists.

Damn annoying since the system booted and loaded from the CD in the
first place.

Paul