Can't get kernel 2.6.1boot properly

d l popgojp at yahoo.co.jp
Mon Jan 12 09:23:56 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am running FC1 on a shitty VIA MVP3 based mobo which
crash when shutdown, so i decided might as well compile
2.6.1 kernel with CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF enable
and see how things go.

I get the stable 2.6.1 source from kernel.org, and tries
built the kernel with the instruction from
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-custom-kernel-modularized.html

1) backed up /lib/modules
2) make mrproper
3) make menuconfig
4) make dep && make clean
5) make bzImage
6) make modules
7) make modules_install
8) make install

Everything seems to run fine. initrd-2.6.1.img and
grub.conf are created/config automatically.

However when I reboots to the new kernel, things get stuck
when the the kernel(?) tires to mount the / file system.

VFS: Cannot open device "LABEL=/" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root"= boot option.
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

Changing grub.conf line:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.1 amp=realmode-power-off ro
root=LABEL=/ rhgb

to:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.1 amp=realmode-power-off ro
root=/dev/hdc1 rhgb

doesnt go very far either; system is stuck again when it
tries to mount other partitions/disk.

I tired modify /etc/fstab from using labels to actual
partition name like:
from:
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3
defaults        1 1
to:
/dev/hdc1               /                       ext3
defaults        1 1

It goes a little bit further in init. but stucked in
mounting paritions/disc again.

Some old msg in this mailing list suggested this might be
the problem of a old mkinitrd, so i updated mkinitrd to
mkinitrd-3.5.15.1-2.i386.rpm, then built the initrd image
manually. I doesnt seems to help.

Any clues?

D. Lee