Top or bottom.... matters less than some think.

Lorenzo Prince lorenzo at prince.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 12 13:53:25 UTC 2004

Note: this is NOT a top-posted message.

OK.  I said to myself I wasn't going to get into this, but here I go.
<rant>
See here that I don't need to top- or bottom-post to maintain context.
If it is about context, I can make my own message clear enough to
reflect what was previously said rather than quoting it exactly.  The
*only* time exact quoting may be necessary is in the case of a URL.
Although a person who is that interested in a URL can always go back
into the archive and get it.  As for the matter of who is on a slow
modem and who has a fast connection and can receive 50MB worth of
reposted messages, there are people of both kinds on this list.
Therefore, the best way to post is for everyone's message clear enough
to stand on their own and maintain context.  This saves space and makes
the messages easy to read.  I don't like reading the same thing 15 times
anymore than anyone else does.  So it's a win-win situation for all
readers, whether their connection is fast or slow.  Also, like a
limited amount of bandwidth it can use to deliver a 15KB message that
contains repeated and repeated and rerepeated information to thousands
of people.  And even though I have a cable connection, I don't have the
will to read the same message 15 times.

I'm not saying you need to be an english major in order to send an
email, just make your messages clear enough to stand on their own in
context without quotes from 3 previous messages, which I see on this
list all the time.  Usually when I see
> > > bar
> > blah
> baz
my reply

I give it up and go on to the next because I didn't see the message
right away on my first windowfull.

I am not saying that quoting is *all* bad, I just think context is most
important, and that it can usually be maintained *without* quoting 3 or
more previous messages.
</rant>

PRINCE