Goodbye to the list

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Mon Jan 12 16:18:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:55:54 +0000
Andy Green <fedora at warmcat.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 10 January 2004 18:19, Elton Woo wrote:
>
> > I am un-subscribing from the list. My main purpose in being a member
> > is
> > keep "butting heads" with those who adamantly and selfishly _refuse_
> > to observe the basics of good electronic communications _as applies
> > to a public mailing list_.
>
> Better to grow a thick skin than make some kind of Dying Swan exit
> about it.... wherever you go you will find the same.    Instead of the
> drama, why don't you meditate on how many of your issues could be
> resolved with a smart client... eg, thread restucturing, automatic
> top-post detection and fixing, automatic excessive quote detection and
> fixing, sig disposal, ml attachment disposal, etc.  Why not join kmail
> or evo or whatever as a dev and work towards the noble goal of
> obliterating your enemies from the shared delusion we call reality.

Even though IMHO Elton overreacted a bit, and I agree these netiquette
probls will always exist, and I try to turn a blind eye on them, it
doesn't mean we should not try to educate people to do the right thing.
I do believe most of the topic-hijacking, top posting etc. happens by
lack of information, and that on these cases, a simple, objective (i.e.
non-passionate) education will work. OTOH there's some people who just
don't give a damn about netiquette, and will simply discard any
education related to it. These are lost cases, I wouldn't waste my time
with them.

I guess what I mean is that neither extremes will help much.

Just my $0.02.

Best,

Andre

--