Goodbye to the list

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 16:51:11 UTC 2004

From: "Andre Costa" <acosta at ar.microlink.com.br>
> Andy Green <fedora at warmcat.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 10 January 2004 18:19, Elton Woo wrote:
> >
> > > I am un-subscribing from the list. My main purpose in being a member

> Even though IMHO Elton overreacted a bit, and I agree these netiquette
> probls will always exist, and I try to turn a blind eye on them, it
> doesn't mean we should not try to educate people to do the right thing.
> I do believe most of the topic-hijacking, top posting etc. happens by
> lack of information, and that on these cases, a simple, objective (i.e.
> non-passionate) education will work. OTOH there's some people who just
> don't give a damn about netiquette, and will simply discard any
> education related to it. These are lost cases, I wouldn't waste my time
> with them.
>
> I guess what I mean is that neither extremes will help much.

If the goal is to make the list more readable with less stress then
do consider that netiquette arguments do not contribute to anything
but list noise. As such one must inquire if this is precisely the
proper forum to carry on this nonsense. I gave up on the issues
that Elton and others are raising here close to 15 years ago. People
are people and are not going to be happily regimented in a place like
this one. Topic drift is going to happen without any subject changes
whether anybody likes this or not. Nothing less than activities that
bring on comments that raise others to note Godwin's law will do so.
Faced with that people will leave. Top and bottom posting is elective.
Some mailers are broken and explicitly favor what some given person
decides is "the wrong way" for some broken messages other mailers
deliver. When a message fails to quote properly or when I do not
expect a reply to be necessary I often post a replies above the message
body as being less ambiguous than interposting comments as I am doing
here. Live with it. Adapt. Are you men or machines?

> Just my $0.02.

Your two cents and dozens of other people's 2 cents all add up and
pretty soon you have a real cup of coffee spilled in your email lap.
If the energy wasted on this topic were invested in making Fedora
more stable we'd all win. We'd not experience your coffee spill in
my lap and we'd experience fewer email bug reports because there'd
be fewer bugs. But it's easier to complain, isn't it?

{^_^}