Thoughts on FC and the future..

Sam Barnett-Cormack s.barnett-cormack at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Jan 12 17:02:30 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, William Hooper wrote:

> Benjamin J. Weiss said:
> >> This idea falls apart pretty quickly depending on what is being
> >> upgraded.
> >> Looking at the devel list, for example, Python is going to be upgraded
> >> in
> >> FC2.  Yum is based on Python, and Yum needed recompiled for the new
> >> version.  Now with an Anaconda based install who cares.  You aren't
>                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> [snip]
> >
> > So, if I am reading you correctly, Fedora Core users are going to have one
> > of four options from now on:
> [snip]
>
> Umm... how about:
>
> 5) Put the CD in and do an upgrade.
>
> Maybe I didn't make clear enought that the problem is trying to upgrade
> tools/libraries that the upgrade program is trying to use.  When doing and
> Anaconda based install (upgrade), the installer is using it's own
> environment, not the environment of the installed system.

Given the track record with redhat of how often upgrades go wrong, and
the fact that such an upgrade requires more downtime, I think a lot of
people will worry about that.

Is fedora there to provide a good distro to users, or to exploit users
to redhat's commercial benefit?

--

Sam Barnett-Cormack
Software Developer                           |  Student of Physics & Maths