Non FOSS and Fedora

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Jan 12 17:42:00 UTC 2004

At 05:44 1/12/2004, Rui wrote:
>On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 11:37, Neil Thompson wrote:
> > We really don't need rabid fanatical so-called freedom advocates making
> life
> > difficult for newbies or for people providing a resource (for free)
> which is useful
> > to many people.
>
>We also don't need to make life difficult for people (like actually
>going to jail) because they don't have a licensed copy of Sun's JDK or
>Adobe Acrobat, simply because they got it from a friend instead of the
>official distributors, even though it's gratis.

Irrelevant and pointless. Two wrongs do not make a right.

We are discussing the posting of installation guides for non-FOSS software
on Fedora News. How is the license for Acrobat or the Sun SDK or some
stupid law in Europe relevant to this discussion?

FN is perfectly within their right to post such a guide. More to the point:
anyone who wishes to restrict that right (either freedom of speech or
freedom of choice or freedom of press, take your pick) in the name of other
freedoms is sadly missing the point, and actively hurting that which they
seek to provide.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com