Thoughts on FC and the future..

Sam Barnett-Cormack s.barnett-cormack at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Jan 12 17:50:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Gene Delitzoy wrote:

> > Given the track record with redhat of how often upgrades go wrong, and
> > the fact that such an upgrade requires more downtime, I think a lot of
> > people will worry about that.
> >
> > Is fedora there to provide a good distro to users, or to exploit users
> > to redhat's commercial benefit?
>
> Is it just me or do others get the sense that some people on this list
> feel that the fedora developers owe us a stable, easy to use, easy to
> upgrade, rock solid distro?
>
> Fedora as a community distro is only as good as the community.

Indeed, and it should also serve the community as well. This is the
point I was attempting to make

> Have you tested the upgrade path? Have you donated money, or time in a
> meaningful way to make sure fedora has a clear and bug free upgrade
> path?
> If not then I wouldn't be complaining about the upgrade capabilities.

I wasn't complaing about what is there now - that's not important, as
fedora is just starting out. I was complaining about the proposed paths
- people (and I don't know where they stand in the community) were
saying "we can't do that, won't do that, shouldn't have to do that,
what's the point?" - I was pointing out the point.

As it is, I'd love to contribute to development of the distro, but
that'd mean I need a spare machine to do it on, and my financial
situation is far from rosy.

--

Sam Barnett-Cormack
Software Developer                           |  Student of Physics & Maths