Non FOSS and Fedora

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon Jan 12 17:51:43 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 17:45, Matt H wrote:
> On Monday 12 January 2004 02:51 am, Adam Kosmin wrote:
> > Is it appropriate to encourage people to install non-FOSS software on
> > Fedora?
>
> Does your view apply to installation of closed source drivers as well? I ask
> because I use an NVIDIA video card and the only "realistic" option is to
> install the proprietary NVIDIA drivers. It would seem short-sited to not
> inform users of how to install these drivers just to maintain the "Only Free
> Software" philosophy.

What I've recommended in the past was of ALSO informing users of what
that choosing those drivers imply.

It seems some proponents only wish to inform of the problems of the Free
Software drivers, caring absolutely nothing about informing of the
non-Free Software drivers' problems.

So they apply a two measures and two weights philosophy, in order to
justify their bad choice of hardware.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?