saslauthd not working

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Mon Jan 12 18:27:04 UTC 2004

David C. Hart wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 14:13, Denis Ford wrote:
>>I've got a fresh installation of Fedora Core 1, with all packages updated
>>from the dulug mirror.  I'm trying to get SASL/Pam authentication set up for
>>Postfix, according to the README in the postfix docs
>>(/usr/share/doc/postfix-2.0.11/README-Postfix-SASL-RedHat.txt) .  I've gone
>>through all the steps, but it appears that saslauthd isn't working right:
>
> Forget the RPM. Get the latest source from Wietse's site and read the
> SASL README. You need to compile it in.
>
> I have it working only after recitations from the Upanishads, the Talmud
> and Martha Stewart's biography. "Eye of newt . . . "

The above poster exaggerates, postfix and sasl-auth appear to work just
fine using the out-of-the-box RPMs.

Your problem, it appears, rests with saslauthd rather than postfix
proper (since even the test authentication fails).

Where is your test user's authentication information stored? (local
account? LDAP? NIS?) Can that user login on the system? Can they su?