Thoughts on FC and the future..

Sam Barnett-Cormack s.barnett-cormack at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Jan 12 20:02:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, William Hooper wrote:

> Sam Barnett-Cormack said:
> > Given the track record with redhat of how often upgrades go wrong,
>
> The upgrade on my laptop from RHL9 to FC1 went completely without problems.
>
> > and
> > the fact that such an upgrade requires more downtime, I think a lot of
> > people will worry about that.
>
> I would prefer more planned downtime than the downtime that comes from
> breaking something.  All upgrades will require downtime, some more than
> others.  As I said in a previous post, trying to get a distro to upgrade
> through yum, etc. isn't a bad thing, just as long as people understand
> that it may not be possible in some cases (like FC1 -> FC2 IMHO).  APIs,
> config files, library versions change, and trying to change these while
> you are using them can cause Bad Things (tm).

Your points are well made and valid - I suppose some things are a matter
of taste, although those points you make seem to not affect other
distros already using the rolling model.

> > Is fedora there to provide a good distro to users, or to exploit users
> > to redhat's commercial benefit?
>
> You'll have to pardon me for not looking over my shoulder for the black
> heliocopters...
>
> Fedora IS the community.  So the community is there to provide a good
> distro to the community.  You would probably do well to get over the "I'm
> a user, Fedora owes me..." mentality.

I far from think that, I apologise for any offence I may have caused the
developers.

However, I stand by my point that the part of the community doing the
development does need to listen to the wishes of the users.

--

Sam Barnett-Cormack
Software Developer                           |  Student of Physics & Maths