Newbee question: Telnet doesn't work with Fedora core 1

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Mon Jan 12 22:21:23 UTC 2004

fedora-list-admin at redhat.com wrote:
> I've installed Fedora core 1 on a desktop system for "Workstation".
> Anaconda worked well with my system.  I have the network up and
> running and I'm able to surf the web etc...
>
> When I try to telnet into the system from my NT box I get rejected.
> This feels like a security issue but I've tried several tools
> provided as part of Fedora and I've gotten nowhere after two hours of
> searching for an answer. I'm sure someone here knows the answer.
> It's probably some default setting that needs to be changed.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
>                 - Dennis -

It sounds like your firewall on the box was not set to permit telnet
connections.  When you installed, did it give you the opportunity to
configure the firewall for incoming connections?  If so, did you select
telnet as permissible?  I haven't installed the preconfigured workstation
setting, so I don't know if this comes up during the install, but the
firewall is the first place I'd look.
 -Don