Newbee question: Telnet doesn't work with Fedora core 1

Kevin Worthington kworthington at linuxmail.org
Mon Jan 12 22:28:07 UTC 2004

> When I try to telnet into the system from my NT box I get rejected.  This
> feels like a security issue but I've tried several tools provided as part of
> Fedora and I've gotten nowhere after two hours of searching for an answer.
> I'm sure someone here knows the answer.  It's probably some default setting
> that needs to be changed.
First, make sure that you have telnet-server installed, try:

rpm -qa | grep -i telnet-server

That's the first step. If telnet-server isn't installed, grab the RPM and run (as root):

rpm -ivh telnet-server-0.17-26.2.i386.rpm (or which ever version of telnet-server)

and run (also as root):

chkconfig --level 2345 telnet on;chkconfig --level 2345 xinetd on;service xinetd restart

Then try to log in again, it should work.
---
Kevin Worthington - <kworthington (at) linuxmail {dot} org>
Red Hat Linux user since April 1998
Fedora Core User since July 2003 (Severn betas)
Registered Linux User #218689 - http://counter.li.org