Newbee question: Telnet doesn't work with Fedora core 1

Keith Morris graphicsguy at charter.net
Tue Jan 13 01:26:29 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 17:08, Dennis McCracken wrote:
> I've installed Fedora core 1 on a desktop system for "Workstation". Anaconda
> worked well with my system.  I have the network up and running and I'm able
> to surf the web etc...
>
> When I try to telnet into the system from my NT box I get rejected.  This
> feels like a security issue but I've tried several tools provided as part of
> Fedora and I've gotten nowhere after two hours of searching for an answer.
> I'm sure someone here knows the answer.  It's probably some default setting
> that needs to be changed.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
>                 - Dennis -

By default, Fedora doesn't install the telnet server, but installs (much
more secure) ssh server.

to connect via windows, download the Putty ssh client from:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

then you should be able to get full secure shell access to your machine
from windows.  This is what I use all the time.

--
Keith Morris <graphicsguy at charter.net>