an up2date idea

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jan 13 04:07:38 UTC 2004

Don wrote:
> I use up2date from the command line, with the way it was configured
> during a clean install.
>
> I've seen various suggestions to reconfigure up2date to use mirror sites
> etc....
>
> I'm not a linux guru by any means, but I do have an active
> imagination... :-)
>
> Would it be beneficial for the default web site to basically act as a
> traffic director... requests directed to it would be redirected to a
> mirror site... either random from a list of synch'd sites, or on a
> round-robin basis...
>
> This still allows knowledgeable people to reconfigure as they want, but
> the real benefit I see is an improves overall reliability of up2date.
>
> Obviously this isn't a change in Fedora, just a change to the web server
> supporting up2date.
>
> If wanted, such redirects could even be decided on based on server
> load.... if it's not terribly busy go ahead and service the request.
>
> Well, there's an idea.... :-)
> Is it sound?
>
> Don

I'm speculating, but wouldn't that cause some sort of redirection
madness? The redirect would try one site, get a slow connection, then do
the same on another site.

I think that a client side program bit, which tests the speed of mirrors
available with each category might be a good alternative. Say three
selected sites for core, three for updates, etc. The client could ping
the selected servers and choose the best performing selection and stay
there until download and upgrade is completed.

Up2date is a lot better now with the repositories access for apt and yum
repositories. One mirror seems to do the trick for me now. In the
future, this feature would really be nice. Someone is bound to find the
uncluttered server and bog it down.

Jim