No CDROM

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Tue Jan 13 13:47:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 20:06, Paul wrote:
> OK, I'm some what new to Linux but seem to have a problem on my second
> system with Fedora.  It was a clean install, but sharing disk space with
> the dark side.
>
>SNIP<

> When I run Hardware Browser (hwbrowser) it reports:
>
>  CD-ROM Drives Plextor CD-R PX-W1210A
>  Manufacturer: PLEXTOR
>  Driver: none or built-in
>  Device: /dev/hdc

	 There are several ways to mount a CD-ROM:
THe dev/cdrom should be a link to the scsi emulator /dev/sd?. Try
mounting /dev/hdc to /mnt/cdrom.
>From the Gnome gui you could try right clicking on the dexktop and
selecting disks->cdrom and see if that works
there is a service called automount that, I believe is default in fedora
which auto mounts the CD when you install a disk.

If none of these are working for you, (scratching head vigorously) you
might try Google groups.  I am sure there is an answer out there but I'm
a newbie too!

Scott